The iPhone 11 name may not indicate however, it’s the successor to the iPhone XR which launched last year. Apple has virtually
Totally renewed the device with improved internals,
Upgraded camera, and much more. In case you are not sure how the
is different from the
The iPhone 11 is the iPhone for the many from Apple. Although it has shipped with a lower price, Apple plans to provide virtually similar experience with it
as the more costly iPhone 11 Pro line. But to achieve a reduced price, Apple had to make a couple of compromises. With the iPhone 11 this year, those
sacrifices have surely dropped. Below is a comprehensive details on the differences between the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XR. In case you don’t know how iPhone 11 compares to iPhone 11 pro, read this
What’s Different between iPhone 11 and iPhone XR?
- iPhone 11 – 6.1-inch 1792 x 828 pixels (326 ppi), Haptic Touch, True Tone Liquid Retina HD LCD display
- iPhone XR – 6.1-inch 1792 x 828 pixels (326 ppi), Haptic Touch, True Tone Liquid Retina HD LCD display
The iPhone 11 features similar Liquid Retina HD display like that of the iPhone XR. Apple may be using a newer panel but it hasn’t said anything
Concerning it in its press launch or on the spec sheet.
- iPhone 11 – IP68 certified, 150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3 mm, 194g
- iPhone XR – IP67 certified, 150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3 mm, 194g
Both the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XR includes an aluminum frame which is accompanied by tougher glass from the front and back . Apple is using the hardest
glass ever seen in a phone though.
In relation to measurements, iPhone 11 and iPhone XR are similar. But, the iPhone 11 ships with enhanced water-resistance capabilities as well as IP68 certification.
This suggests that while the iPhone 11 can be submerged in up to 2m deep in water, the iPhone XR can only survive 1m for up to half an hour.
Just like iPhone XR, the iPhone 11 comes in six color options. In addition to the Black, White, Yellow, and (Product)RED, Apple is including
two new color shades: Purple and Green in iPhone 11.
- iPhone 11 – Third-generation Neural engine A13 Bionic, 7nm+ EUV
- iPhone XR – Second-generation Neural engine 7nm A12 Bionic chipset
The A12 Bionic chip that comes in the iPhone XR is yet a very powerful mobile chip. but, the A13 Bionic in the iPhone 11 is even quicker. It is up to
20% more powerful compared to the A12 Bionic in addition to being more power-efficient. Additionally, the GPU is up to 30% quicker and Apple says that it has up to 40% decrease in power
consumption. The new Machine Learning Accelerators in A13 Bionic ensure that combined with the CPU, the processor is capable of delivering more than 1 trillion operations
- iPhone 11 – 64GB, 128GB, 256GB options
- iPhone XR– 64GB, 128GB options
Similar to the iPhone 11 Pro line, the iPhone 11 doesn’t signify an advancement over the iPhone XR in this regard. It starts with the same 64GB base storage
and goes all the way to 256GB. The iPhone XR goes up to 128GB therefore, this is an enhancement on Apple’s side.
- iPhone 11 – Dual 12MP camera setup f/1.8 and f/2.4 aperture, Brighter True Tone Flash, OIS for main sensor, 100% Focus Pixels for main camera, enhanced Smart HDR, Portrait
mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control
- iPhone XR – Single 12MP camera setup with f/1.8, 1.4um large pixels, True Tone Flash, OIS, Smart HDR, Focus Pixels, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control
The iPhone 11 features a dual-camera system while the iPhone XR comes with a single 12MP shooter at the back . Apple has not just enhanced the main camera
performance on the iPhone 11, but has added a secondary ultra-wide angle camera as well.The 120-degree wide angle camera will allow one to take photographs as well as
record videos with totally different view. This may not make a significant difference to many people however, it will be a game-changer in real life situation.
There is a new Night mode in the camera application that automatically activates itself in low-light situations to take brighter photographs. In addition, the Portrait mode on
the iPhone 11 has been upgraded and can now work on pets too.
The iPhone 11’s video recording capabilities are also a major improvement from the iPhone XR. It ships with Audio Zoom in which the iPhone will automatically
focus on the sound coming from the subject. The dynamic range and cinematic stabilization have also been enhanced on the iPhone 11.
Additionally, you can quickly record a video on the iPhone 11 by just pressing and holding the camera button.
- iPhone 11 – 12MP TrueDepth Camera, f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control, Smart HDR
- iPhone XR – 7MP TrueDepth Camera, f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth control, Smart HDR
The iPhone 11’s front camera has a higher 12MP resolution and improved Smart HDR which lets it grasp more details and features enhanced dynamic range.
In addition, it can shoot 4K videos at 60fps with cinematic video stabilization together with ‘slofies’ at 120fps.
- iPhone 11 – 1.2Gbps LTE modem, VoLTE, Dual-SIM, Wi-Fi 6 with MIMO, Ultra-Wideband chip NFC with Reader mode, Bluetooth 5.0
- iPhone XR – LTE-A, VoLTE, Dual-SIM, Wi-Fi ac with MIMO, NFC with Reader mode, Bluetooth 5.0
Last year, iPhone XR didn’t come with a Gigabit LTE modem which was a shame. However, this year, the iPhone 11 comes with a Gigabit LTE modem along with faster Wi-Fi 6 support. Faster connectivity may not appear as a deal breaker to many people but will have
a huge impact in daily use situations. In addition, the iPhone 11 has Apple’s new U1 Ultra Wideband processor that will be significant once Apple Tags are released later during this year.
It will help in better indoor positioning, location tracking, and spatial awareness.
- iPhone 11 – Face ID on board
- iPhone XR – Face ID on board
Both devices features Face ID for biometric authentication. But thanks to an upgraded TrueDepth camera system, the iPhone 11 offers an improved Face ID unlock
experience that works over a wider field of view.
Battery Life and Charging
- iPhone 11 –1 hour more than iPhone XR
- iPhone XR –1.5 hours more than iPhone 8 Plus
The iPhone XR was popular for its all-day battery life. But with the iPhone 11, Apple is pushing that limit even further as it asserts that the iPhone
11 can offer an hour longer battery life compared to the iPhone XR. This means one can get up to 17 hours of video playback on the iPhone 11 where as the iPhone
XR goes up to about 16 hours.
Both phones supports fast-charging however, they just ship with a 5W charger in the box that takes almost 2.5-3 hours to fill them from 0-100%. Additionally, both phones
support 7.5W wireless charging.
- iPhone 11 – begins from $699
- iPhone XR – started from $749, currently costs $499
Despite all the updates that it comes with, the iPhone 11 has a lower starting price point compared to the iPhone XR. The 64GB base version can be bought
for $699 while the iPhone XR started from $749. The $50 reduction might not appear like a huge deal however, makes it possible for someone to get the most current device at a cheaper price of $700 after a few years. Read