Apple’s 2018 iPad Pro models, available in 11 or 12.9-inch size options, feature edge-to-edge displays with no Home buttons on board. The absence of a Home
button has brought about some re-mapped gestures and features, with Apple introducing new restart, shut down, and force restart methods in iPads.
A shut down and a restart are the same gesture now, on the other hand, a force restart, used when a usual restart won’t work, is slightly different.
When Should You Force Restart?
From time to time, your iPhone or iPad may suffer some form of a software glitch. It can be an iOS update gone wrong, unresponsive app, or just an iOS or iPadOS
bug that won’t disappear.
Force restarting is most useful when your iPhone or iPad is stuck and unresponsive. When you can’t even
your device, try force rebooting it—it usually resolves the issue.
To Shut Down/Restart Your iPad
- Press and hold down the on/off button located at the top of your iPad and either the volume up or volume down button until a slider appears.
- Slide a finger along the slider to turn off the iPad.
- After your iPad shut down, press and hold the on/off again till the Apple logo is displayed on the screen.
On earlier devices, you could restart by holding down the home button and the side button on a device simultaneously, however, in the new models, you need
to do a full shutdown and then power the tablet back up in a separate step.
Alternatively, you can turn off your iPad by heading over to Settings app, selecting General, and choosing “Shut Down.”
To Force Restart Your iPad
- Quickly press and release the volume up button.
- Quickly press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold on/off button until a restart is initiated.
All of the gestures used in the new iPad Pro models are similar to the gestures used in the iPhone X and newer, therefore, you can follow these same steps
to shut down or restart an iPhone without a Home button with one small twist – you’ll need to hold the Side button on the right since there is no top
Restarting Other Devices
Don’t have an iPad Pro? Make sure to check out our guides on how to force restart other Apple devices, listed below: