iPadOS 16 brings with it a whole host of new features. In this article, i’ve explained the best iPadOS 16 tips and tricks you should try first.
iPadOS 16 brings a number of new features and changes to the iPad experience, including Stage Manager, new Messages tweaks and much more, but with so many changes on offer, where do you start?
We’re here to make the adjustment far easier with the best iPadOS 16 tips and tricks.
Best iPadOS 16 tips and tricks
Without further ado, here is a list of the Best iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks in 2022:
1. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Edit or unsend iMessages
Apple has really ramped up Messages this year, adding in some features users of apps like WhatsApp will be familiar with. Accidentally texted something inappropriate to your boss? With the new Messages app in iPadOS 16, you can quickly recall that message before it does any damage.
- Open the Messages app on your iPad.
- Type your message as you normally do.
- Once you’ve sent it – long press that message. You’ll see both ’Edit’ and ’Undo send’ as options in the drop-down menu. Choose whichever you want to use at the time.
Please note, if the person you’re sending it to doesn’t have iOS 16 or iPadOS 16, it won’t appear as unsent for them, they’ll still see the message.
2. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Recover recently deleted messages
In iPadOS 16, you can recover recently deleted messages for up to 30 days after deleting them.
- Open the Messages app on your iPad.
- Go to the Recently Deleted section.
- Tap Recover All to restore all deleted messages.
- If you only wish to get back one or a few chats, tap inside their tiny round box to select them. After that, tap Recover.
3. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Scheduled send emails
In iPadOS 16, you can schedule an email in your iPhone’s Mail app so it gets sent at any time of your choice.
- Open the Mail app on your iPad.
- Draft your email the way you normally would, complete with the recipient, subject, and message.
- When you are done with the email and ready to send it, tap and hold the Send icon (the big blue arrow). You’ll see a pop-up menu.
- Choose when you want to send the message.
Apple gives you a few quick-pick choices, including Send 9:00 PM Tonight and Send 8:00 AM Tomorrow. If you want to choose a custom time, tap Send Later… and you can choose the date and time from a calendar view, then tap Done.
4. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Delete Duplicate Photos
Apple’s latest Photos app lets you quickly and easily delete duplicate photos to help you save iPad and iCloud storage.
- Open the Photos app on your iPad.
- Tap on ’Albums’.
- Scroll all the way down until you see ’Duplicates’ in the list near the bottom of the page. Now you can either hit ‘merge’ near each match, or hit ’select’ at the top and then manually choose each image you want to delete and hit the delete trash can icon at the bottom.
5. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: new Weather app
In iPadOS 16, Apple introduced a brand new Weather app to the iPad. The new app takes full advantage of the large display and includes animated backgrounds reflecting current weather conditions. Each module in the weather app can be tapped to provide additional data.
6. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Collaborate on projects
One of the big new features of iPadOS 16 is working with others. Collaboration is the real-time sharing of an original document, so everyone can work on it simultaneously. It’s rather like Google Docs, but what’s neat is that you can initiate a collaboration through Messages or FaceTime directly from the share sheet. Just select Collaborate and select the conversation where you want to share it.
You can also share tab groups from Safari with the group. When you do, you’ll see icons of who is looking at what tab in real-time.
7. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Metal 3 and other gaming enhancements
For the first time, iPadOS 16 is bringing Metal 3 APIs to the iPad. Apple is looking for iPads to be gaming machines with Metal 3-enabled, hardware-accelerated 3D graphics. Additionally, Apple has a new API that allows larger asset packs to download in the background while you play the game.
With your Game Center account, you can find friends, track progress in various games, and view leaderboards for various games. Gaming on iOS has largely been the domain of phones. However, Apple is pushing to get more gamers onto the iPad. It has designed these moves to do just that.
8. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Turn Reference Mode on or off
Reference Mode is a display mode for professional content creation workflows, like color grading, editing, and content review, where accurate colors and consistent image quality are critical. To use Reference Mode, you need
12.9-inch iPad Pro (5th generation or later)
Reference Mode enables your iPad Pro to match the color requirements of your workflow. It targets a D65 white point and disables all dynamic display adjustments for ambient surround, like True Tone, Auto-Brightness, and Night Shift. You can also adjust the white point and luminance manually.
Reference Mode might affect battery life. Here’s how to turn the feature on or off.
- Open the Settings app,.
- Tap Display & Brightness.
- Turn Reference Mode on or off.
9. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: Turn Stage Manager on and off
Stage Manager is Apple’s multitasking feature available with iPadOS 16.1 which enables you to organize apps and windows in a single view. Stage Manager requires an iPad powered by an M1 chipset, so it won’t be much use if you haven’t upgraded your iPad in a few years.
Stage Manager is an optional feature. You can use it as little or as often as you’d like, with a quick tap of a button toggling it on or off. That button is located in the iPad’s Control Center. To access it follow the steps below:
- Swipe down from the top right corner of your iPad’s screen to bring up control center.
- There you’ll see a new icon that has three dots on the left side, with a rectangle to the left of the dots. Tap on the icon to turn on Stage Manager.
- If you want to revert back to the more traditional iPad layout, open Control Center again and tap the Stage Manager button to turn it off.
10. iPadOS 16 Tips and Tricks: See the password for the Wi-Fi network you’re on
One feature that arguably should have existed for a long time is the ability to see the password for the network you’re connected to. In iPadOS 16 you can.
- Open the Settings app on your iPad.
- Tap ’Wi-Fi’.
- Tap the info icon next to the network you’re connected to.
- Here, you’ll see ’Password’. Tap it, and it’ll use FaceID to check it’s you, and reveal the passkey.
Your favorite iPadOS 16 tips and tricks
So these were some of the best iPadOS 16 tips and tricks you should try on your iPad first. My favorite iPadOS 16 tips and tricks include ability to edit/unsend messages, ability to collaborate with others on a project, and ability to schedule emails in Mail. There’s surely plenty more hidden iPadOS 16 tips and tricks to discover, so I’ll keep tapping, swiping and noting anything I find. Did we miss out on something important that needs to be added to the list? Which are your favorite iPadOS 16 tips and tricks? Drop a comment and let us know.