Most Mac models include built-in cameras. In fact, all Mac laptops, namely MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, come with a built-in iSight, FaceTime, or FaceTime
HD camera. Cameras are an integral part of computers. For example, using your camera, you can record videos,make group FaceTime calls or record lectures.
For instance, if your Mac camera is not working on Skype, you may not be able to use the video feature. This means, also for example, that you may run into
and get “
” error messages if your Mac camera is not working properly.
In this article, I’ll tell you exactly how you can fix Mac camera not working issue. Sometimes, your camera may not work at all and sometimes you may
get a “camera not connected” message. Please try the fixes below before
submitting your camera for service.
Microphone is not working on Mac.
How to get your camera working again
Follow these instructions in order. Test your camera after performing each step to see if your problem is fixed.
1. Restart your Mac
Before trying the possible solutions described below, consider restarting your Mac. Try to restart your Mac to see if that fixes your
problem. To restart your Mac, simply select Restart from the Apple menu.
2. Update your Mac.
Ensure that your Mac is running the latest version of macOS software. Simply follow these steps:
- If your Mac is running macOS Mojave or Higher: Click the System Preferences from the Apple menu and then click Software Update. If
there is an update available, simply click Update Now and follow the onscreen prompts. (note: you may also want to check the “automatically keep my Mac up
to date” box).
- To update macOS High Sierra or Sierra, simply open the App Store on your Mac and
then click the Updates tab.
3. Allow app permission
Is your problem is app-specific. For example, your camera works in Zoom but does not work with Skype? Are you experiencing this issue with specific
apps that require video connections like Skype, Adobe Connect, WhatsApp, Google Meet, etc? You may have a permission problem. Consider giving your apps
permission. On your Mac, go to Apple menu and System Preferences, Security & Privacy, then click the Privacy tab. You will see camera in the left side, select it
and then allow apps to access your camera. Tick the checkbox next to the app to turn on camera access. Now, you’ve given apps permission to use the camera.
App specific camera problems
Another possible solution if your Mac camera is not working, consider uninstalling the problematic app
(in the app that camera does not work) and then try to download a fresh.
4. If you are getting the “There is no connected camera.” error message then try the following steps:
- Type in the following command and hit enter:
sudo killall VDCAssistant
- Next, type in the following command and hit enter:
sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant
- If asked, type in your admin password.
- Now, restart your computer and check if your camera is working.
5. Reset NVRAM or PRAM and SMC on your Mac
Simply follow these steps to reset NVRAM or PRAM and SMC on your Mac:
- Power off your Mac.
- Power on your Mac and immediately press and hold the Option, Command, P, and R.
- Hold down these keys for about 20 seconds.
- Your Mac will seem to restart.
- The NVRAM or PRAM will be reset.
To reset the SMC, please check out this article for steps to
reset the SMC.
6. Restart your Mac in Safe Mode
Safe Mode may fix Mac camera not working problem. Simply follow these steps:
- Shut down your Mac.
- Power on your Mac and immediately press and hold down the Shift key.
- Hold down the Shift key until the login screen appears. Then let go off the Shift key.
- Login. (You may need to log in a couple of times).
- Now, your Mac is
running in Safe Mode.
- Check if your camera is working.
- Now, restart your Mac normally. This will
exit Safe Mode.
And then check if your camera is working as expected.
7. Check if your Mac can recognize your camera
Simply follow these steps to check if your camera is recognized on Mac:
- Launch the
app on your Mac. You can find this in the
inside the Applications folder. Alternatively, you can access the System Information by clicking the Apple menu > About This Mac > Overview > System Report.
- Look for the Hardware (or USB) header.
- Check if your camera is detected
8. Allow camera access for browsers
If Mac camera is not working online in a browser such as
Chrome, Fire fox, Edge, consider checking if there are browser camera settings. For instance, if Mac camera is not working in Safari, follow these steps to allow camera access:
- Launch the Safari app.
- Now, click Safari and Preferences.
- Next, click the Websites tab.
- Next on, click Camera.
- You will see the websites (like Twitter) that are running, look for the drop-down menu and choose Ask, Deny, Allow.
9. standalone camera fixe
If you are experiencing camera problems with your standalone camera (not built-in), then please check the following tips:
- Ensure that your camera is plugged in properly.
- Shut down your Mac and then switch off your camera. Wait for about ten seconds. Disconnect the camera and then plug it back in. Now, restart your Mac. Check if your
camera is working.
- Unplug your camera and plug it to a different port.
- Ensure that your camera cable is not damaged, you can try using a different cable.
If your Mac camera is still not working properly, considercontacting Apple. The following are available