In the world of multimedia systems, the continued evolution of video content and file formats over the past decade has sparked breakthroughs in the broadening of the video landscape. That has also led to the birth of a multitude of video converting software as people seek to transcode incompatible or obsolete digital video to a better-supported or modern format. And thus here in this post, we have compiled the 10 best video converters for Mac that feature the most up-to-date video conversion algorithms with the maximum conversion efficiency for you to leverage.
1. VideoProc Converter
Verdict: The overall best video converter for Mac
VideoProc Converter can quickly tackle and efficiently address all the issues related to Mac media formats, codec, quality, size, processing, etc. Encompassing 370 input formats and 420 output codecs with 8K resolution and above, the program allows you to convert video to any Mac-supported formats including MP4, MKV, MOV, AVI, DVD, ISO, VIDEO_TS, AVCHD, WebM, QuickTime, MP3, AAC, Apple ALAC, etc., and customize the video file properties for resolution, bit rate, frame rate, and more.
What’s more, packed with Full GPU acceleration and a full-fledged conversion engine, the Mac video converter can advance the conversion speed 47x real-time faster while retaining your video quality. Largely characterized by its intuitiveness, compatibility, and stability, the video converter is open to beginners and experts.
Price: Free trial version to try all features without watermark; Offers premium plans for video conversion longer than 5 minutes.
- Batch convert media file to video/audio/image sequence, 420 formats.
- Support Mac computers running M1, M1 Pro, or M1 Max systems.
- Support video remux, 2-pass encoding, and x265 high entropy codec.
- Up to 47x real-time increase in conversion speed along with an average of 2% CPU usage only
- Simple and intuitive interface to ensure an easy and streamlined conversion process
- Apple-ready output profile for Mac, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and iPod.
- Toolkit to edit video, record screen, compress, download video, copy DVD…
- Free trial is limited to five-minute videos.
2. DivX Video Converter
Verdict: The best paid Mac video converter for beginners.
As the full-featured Mac video convert, DivX Video Converter offers the largest library of conversion and optimization profiles, and allows you to convert videos to core Mac formats like MOV, MP4, M4V, MP3, MPG, AVI, DivX, MKV, and delve into advanced transcoding options to alter bitrate, resolution and file size. The free version includes three components where you can enjoy high-quality video playback, convert video, and cast media from Mac to any DNLA-compatible device. But other advanced features like DVD backups, Google compatibility, and custom workflow optimization then require additional purchases.
Price: Free version; $19.99 Pro version.
- Broad format support with high-quality video output.
- A decent video suite to convert, playback, and stream video on the Mac computer.
- Customizable video settings to take full control of the conversion process.
- Ads and upsells show in the free version.
- The bundled software might be installed on your Mac during use.
Verdict: Best free Mac video converter for cross-platform users.
HandBrake, a capable free Mac video converter, enables you to convert between any video format and codec. With an array of features to draw on, you can have a full hold over the video output and get quick results by simply loading up the video into the Mac program and using one of the many presets in the side panel to convert to different formats with various settings in place. Moreover, you are allowed to customize the encoding settings, apply effects, tweak frame rates, and change codecs in the Output Setting section.
- An extremely free yet powerful video converter for Mac.
- Batch convert audio or video files between H.264, H.265, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP8 AAC, MP3, FLAC, AC3, etc.
- A handful of preset options to work with for the pixel perfectionists.
- The interface might seem somewhat intimidating to beginners.
- Something of a learning curve
4. Any Video Converter
Verdict: Best Mac video converter for DVD burning.
Programmed as a fully-fledged yet easy-to-use Mac video converter, just as the name suggests, Any Video Converter can convert almost any video, audio, or DVD file without any kind of limitations thanks to its rich list of video, audio, and device formats. Also included is the option to merge multiple video files and thereafter convert them into a single video file. Better yet, the Mac tool can perform other extra functions like 4K video downloading, DVD burning, and video editing, making it an all-in-one solution for video processing.
Price: Free; $39.95 Full version.
- Batch files processing to work on multiple video files simultaneously.
- Rich video editing tools to further refine the video or audio file before converting.
- Intuitive interface, great output quality, tons of options…
- No ads, spyware, or malware.
- Sluggish conversion speed when converting the large video file.
- Limited trial version.
5. QuickTime Player
Verdict: Best built-in Mac video converter
As an extensible multimedia framework developed by Apple Inc., QuickTime is capable of handling various formats of digital video, picture, and sound, and can quickly convert videos to or from the major file formats. It may not fare so well with video conversion on obscure file formats, but would be an ideal option for those who are reluctant to use a third-party Mac video converter to convert video files. The free version is limited only to some basic conversion and playback options, and more advanced features like video recording and editing require a QuickTime Pro subscription.
Price: Free; $30 for QuickTime Pro version.
- Support for H.264 compression to deliver brilliant, crisp HD video with less bandwidth and storage.
- Audio playback integration.
- Many extra codecs are needed for playback.
- Installs bloatware.
- Lack of support on some common video formats.
Verdict: Best free Mac video converter for batch conversion.
Apart from its strong media playback capability, VLC also boasts a sound performance in video conversion that allows Mac users to convert between different formats, and adjust various audio and video parameters to personalize the output to your needs. The free Mac video converter equips customizable and editable conversion profiles to rid you of the need to tinker with a ton of options that you may not be familiar with. Besides, laden with a plethora of features, the tool offers the ability to dump the raw input while converting media files, which could help to cut down the amount of time needed to convert from one format to another.
- Supports a ton of formats and codecs like H.264. H.263, MPEG, MKV, MP3…
- Offers hotkeys to help quicken various conversion tasks.
- Offers video and audio clipping options to extract just the media sections you need.
- The old-fashioned user interface is unpleasant to work with.
- Crashes occur while converting videos on Mac device.
Verdict: Best free Mac video converter with basic editing options.
Programmed as a free and open-source software application for non-linear video editing and transcoding multimedia files, Avidemux is another Mac video converter that you can leverage. It supports most standard formats and can read and convert MP4, AVI, MPEG, and DVD, to name a few. Besides, the advanced interlacing and deinterlacing controls enable you to handle adjustments of older video types, greatly expanding the source range that the Mac tool could access.
- Full editing control to fulfill the needs of video editing.
- Simple and easy interface.
- Remux video without encoding or losing quality.
- Difficult to customize the encoding settings.
- Constant crashes during the video conversion process.
Verdict: Best free Mac video converter for advanced users or engineers.
Functioning as a complete, free and cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video, FFmpeg is another video converter for Mac. It supports the most obscure ancient formats up to the cutting edge, the Mac tool can decode, encode, transcode, mux, demux, stream, filter, and play literally anything that you can possibly imagine. But you definitively have to dig deep into the document when doing anything more advanced in the FFmpeg environment, meaning that it may take some time to accomplish what you want.
- A huge feature set offered to
- Expendable or interfaced with by 3rd party hardware accelerators.
- Very thorough documentation.
- Steep learning curve.
Verdict: Best online video converter for Mac
Characterized by its strong support for over 200 formats, CloudConvert can convert almost every file piece you throw to it on Mac. Included is not only the ability to access audio, video, document, and image but also ebook, archive, spreadsheet, and presentation formats. Embedded with a clean and straightforward interface, the tool brings to Mac users the most effortless online conversion workflow. Besides, data security is ensured for all uploads and downloads, and you can rest assured to use the service to convert your video files.
Price: Free for up to 25 conversions per day; Offer flexible payment options to suit users’ needs.
- An online video converter software chrome extension support.
- Popular input and output formats.
- Easy and safe to use.
- Slow conversion process under the bad network environment.
- No batch conversion support.
- Limited free conversions minutes.
Verdict: Best online Mac video converter for casual users.
As one of the leading web-based Mac video converters, Zamzar is capable of handling various types of conversion for free. With its great multi-functionality, usability, and accessibility, users are allowed to convert a vast array of files including videos, documents, images, audio, and archives on Mac to other more compatible formats. All you need is to upload your original video files, choose the format you want to convert to, and hit the Convert button to convert.
Price: Free to perform two conversion tasks within a 24 hour (with a 50MB size limit per file); Offer subscription plans for basic, pro, and business needs.
- Straightforward and quick conversion process.
- Easy and safe to use.
- 50 MB file size limit makes it difficult to use for video.
- Lack of some common video formats support.