Are your apps crashing after macOS Monterey update? This is the most common problem Mac users are facing right now on Mac, Macbook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, or Mac mini running on macOS Monterey. Thankfully, the solutions to fix the app crashing after macOS Monterey problem are rather straightforward.
Although problems with apps can happen anytime, some users have reported that after upgrading to Monterey, their pages, Mail, Music, Safari or another app crash randomly. While some Mac apps crash at launch, others crash in the middle of usage. There are a couple of handy solutions you should try to fix app crashing after macOS Monterey update. In this article, we will give you some troubleshooting tips for fixing this problem.
How to Fix apps crashing on Mac after Monterey update
1. Update Apps
Outdated apps tend to face crashing and freezing issues. If apps have begun crashing and becoming unresponsive after macOS Monterey update, the first thing you should do is update them. Head to the Mac App Store and click on the Updates option in the sidebar. After that, find the apps that are crashing and update them all.
2. Force quit the crashing app
If you have an app that is not responding, you can try to force quit the app by either of the following:
- Go to Apple menu > Force Quit.
- Press 3 keys at the same time: ESC, Option and Command. Select your app, then select Force Quit.
If your app has only crashed on you once, try reopening it. If it has crashed numerous times, you will likely need to take steps to solve the issue.
3. Delete And Reinstall Apps
If the above steps haven’t fixed the apps that often crash on your macOS Monterey device, you may need to reinstall the apps. To do so, locate the app in the Applications folder in Finder and drag it to the Trash. If asked, enter your administrator passcode to confirm. Once done, go to the App store, find the app again and reinstall it.
4. Restart your Mac
Try restarting your Mac to see if the problem continues.
Go to Apple menu > Restart.
5. Check for Compatibility
If you just upgraded to Monterey, you may need to check that your app is compatible with Monterey. This won’t apply to Apple apps like Mail. Go to the app manufacturer’s website for information about compatibility. You may need to update your app, or find an alternative that is compatible with Monterey.
6. Update your Mac
Updates often have bug fixes. Even if you have recently upgraded/updated your Mac, you should make sure you have installed the latest updates.
- Click on Apple Logo () From Top Mac Menu.
- Next, click on the System Preferences option.
- Now, Software Update > Download and Install Latest Software on Mac.
7. Check Plug-ins or Enhancements
If your app has plug-ins or enhancements that you have installed, these may be causing the crashing problem. Try uninstalling these.
8. Check Peripheral Devices
If an app keeps crashing, it may not be the actual app you are using that is causing the problem. You should make sure your peripheral devices, such as printers, are compatible with your version of macOS. Check the device manufacturer’s website for compatibility information.
9. Reset NVRAM and PRAM
- Shutdown your Mac.
- Power on your Mac and immediately press and hold 4 keys: Option, Command, P and R. Hold for 20 seconds, then release.
10. Reset the SMC
- To reset the SMC, Shutdown/power off your MacBook.
- Press and hold 3 keys: Shift, Control and Option.
- Press and hold the power button, without releasing the other 3 keys.
- Hold all keys for 10 seconds, then release.
- Press the power button on your Mac.
11. Use Apple Diagnostics
Apple Diagnostics can help you diagnose problems with your Mac’s internal hardware.
- Disconnect any unnecessary external devices and ethernet cables.
- Go to Apple menu > Restart. Immediately press and hold the D key until you see a screen with language options.
- Choose your language and Diagnostics will start automatically.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
12. Contact Apple Support
If you are still experiencing app crashing issues on macOS Monterey, you should contact Apple Support for help. The following are available Apple support options:
Do you use an iPhone as your primary mobile device? In that case, you may also be interested in taking a look at some of the basic troubleshooting steps you should follow if your apps keep crashing after iOS 15 update.
We hope you were successful in troubleshooting your macOS Monterey apps crashing problems. Which of the troubleshooting methods that we discussed here worked for you? Did you have another solution for Monterey related app crushing issues? Share your experiences, thoughts, and opinions in the comments section below!